Yesterday, Progressive Music’s Director of Market Development, Mark Despotakis joined with leaders from The Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA) to advocate for music education in Pennsylvania’s state capital. Despotakis serves at the chair of the PMEA council that handles advocacay and public policy work.
In addition to meeting with key members of the Pennsylvania General Assembly, Despotakis and PMEA leadership accepted a resolution introduced by Representative Eddie Day Pashinski marking Music In Our Schools Month. Pashinski himself is a former music teacher.
The visit to Harrisburg was timely, coming just one day after Governor Tom Wolf presented his budget proposal for Pennsylvania. You can read the entire text of his budget address here.
Here are education-related highlights from Governor Wolf’s proposal:
- Increase of $400 million for Basic Education Subsidy (6.98% increase). This combined line item includes what was for 2014-15 separate line items for Basic Subsidy, Accountability Block Grant, and Ready to Learn Block Grant.
- Increase of $100 million for Special Education (9.55% increase).
- Increase of $120 million for Early Education – Pre-K Counts and Supplemental Head Start – (87.93% increase).
- Increase of $23 million for Career and Technical Education (37.10% increase).
- Increase of $4.6 million for Adult and Family Literacy (38.10% increase).
- Increase of $15 million for Community Colleges (6.98% increase).
- Increase of $45.302 million to the State System of Higher Education (10.98% increase).
- Increase of $82.138 million to State-Related Universities (15.76% increase).
- Increase of $2 million for the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts (PCA) grants to arts organizations (23.3% increase).
About Progressive Music
Progressive Music is a business with a mission to enrich the quality of life serving as a cultural and community center for all who make music for a living or personal enjoyment, regardless of age of ability. Progressive Music is the link between the public and suppliers of quality musical merchandise. The Progressive Music staff are professionals whose expertise assist, guide, and motivate people in the selection of music industry products as well present music education to the public through lessons, seminars and advocacy. Progressive Music is committed to their products with an experienced and knowledgeable service center. To learn more, visit www.progressivemusiccompany.com or visit Progressive Music on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.